Last year investors mostly talked about the smart grid – this year they’re investing.
- Ecobee raised $6.4 million from Ontario Emerging Technologies Fund, JLA Ventures and Tech Capital Partners for programmable thermostats for residential and light commercial applications.
- Ecofactor’s $2.4 million dollar raise
- Ember raised $5 million in venture debt from Wellington Financial for ZigBee chipsets for wireless Home Area Networks.
- PassivSystems, a UK-based smart grid home energy management firm, received funding from Wheb Venture.
- Tantalus Systems, a maker of two-way, real-time smart grid data communications, raised a $14 million funding round led by Redpoint Ventures. Tantalus’ wireless communications technology automates processes like outage detection, load forecasting, billing and reporting, demand response, and maintenance.
- Verdiem’s $4.7 million from Kleiner Perkins and Microsoft for PC energy management
And we see Smart Grid VC investments from last quarter:
- Silver Springs $100M for smart grid network platforms by Google Ventures, Foundation Capital, KPCB and Northgate Capital
- EnOcean $11.5M for self-powered wireless sensors for buildings and industry by SET Venture Partners, Kathrein Group , Atmos, Baytech VC, Emerald Tech, Siemens Tech Accelerator, Siemens VC, Wellington Partners
- Responsive Load (UK) $870K for Smart grid management lets appliances modify power usage in re-sponse to change in the grid by LCA, Naxos Capital Partners, Carbon Trust Investments.
- Tendril (undisclosed) for Software/ Hardware platform for real-time, two-way communication between utilities/retailers and customers on energy supply and usage bye GE Energy Financial Services.
This is gonna be really big!
For more info click here